Friday, August 7, 2015

Bring on the rain!


The grass in my front lawn is dry and brown. Flowers cease to bloom. Rain is desperately needed and would make everything better. (According to my sister, I’m supposed to water the flowers and tomatoes – who knew! I guess I need to go get a watering can.) 

The state budget impasse is making me feel the same way about my agency. The money will flow to local agencies sometime in the future and all the programs will begin again. But for now, things are drying up. Those who have a “well” to go to can keep things moving along until the powers that be move things forward. But some of us do not have this option or do not have the mechanisms in place to do so. And so our programs languish for lack of funds. And while we impatiently wait out the crisis, it is the people who benefit from our programs who will suffer, not those making the decisions. They’re still getting what they need. Oh yes, I know the arguments – “short term pain for long term gain”, and “it’s his fault for doing it this way”. But those sentiments don’t provide the resources to pay the bills.


It’s so disheartening. 

No comments:

Post a Comment